Fire Pit Makeover

My husband and I are like two peas in a pod. We (brace yourselves) hate the outdoors. We do not like camping. We feel dirty when we set foot outside. Not to mention, bees seem to dive-bomb my husband regularly, and without provocation. And don’t get me started on spiders.

However, with out pool about to be resurface and the resulting DIY Backyard Overhaul we’ve been working on, we can’t wait to chill with a glass of wine by our new (to us) fire pit, in our new (to us) backyard.

A friend of my husband offered his fire pit table and chairs to us for a cool $200. At first look, it was not in my color scheme and looked like it needed a little TLC. But considering his friend paid $1400 for the set new, I couldn’t pass it up.

The “before”:

Fire pit 1Fire pit 2Fire pit 3

Frankly, I was worried about the chip- but I knew I could make this work. We decided we liked the black base, but I wanted to change the tabletop to a color more consistent with our earth-tone color scheme.

I researched the best way to touch up a fire pit, and came across Rustoleum’s High Heat spray paint- which can be used for fire pits, BBQs, etc. I picked up four cans of black, which was WAY more than we needed. We used only a can and a half. I found a bronze/ copper color (“Aged Copper” to be exact) but my local Home Depot and Lowe’s were out. I ordered 2 cans from Amazon.

 

We first cleaned the heck out of the fire pit. My husband hosed it out thoroughly, and used a duster to get all the cobwebs and dead spiders (OMG) out. After it dried, we placed it on a plastic tarp. Next, we taped plastic over the table top, as that was going to be a different color.

Then I went to town on the black spray paint. I used two coats. The chip on the rim was covered up nicely. We also spray painted the lid black.

The following day, we taped off the black rim and got to work on the tabletop. Easy peasy lemon squeezy.

I liked the look, but it seemed something wasn’t quite done. The tabletop looked too…flat?

fire pit 4

Then I realized the “grout” lines and “tiles” were a uniform color. When we removed the tape after painting the tabletop, some of the black spray paint came off, and there were gaps between the copper and black color. Hubby had a brilliant idea to use a Sharpie to fill in those spots, which we did. Then I had the equally brilliant idea to use the Sharpie in the “grout” lines. Hey, it worked.

 

Just a few more Sharpie touch ups, and a fleur-de-lis stencil I’m not sure I like or not…

fire pit 14

Viola! A “new” fire pit!

fire pit 11fire pit 10

Before and after

 

Leave a Reply

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in:

WordPress.com Logo

You are commenting using your WordPress.com account. Log Out /  Change )

Google+ photo

You are commenting using your Google+ account. Log Out /  Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out /  Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out /  Change )

Connecting to %s